گر نبودی کارش الهام اله ** او سگی بودی دراننده نه شاه
- If his act were not the inspiration of God, he would have been a dog that rends (its prey), not a king.
پاک بود از شهوت و حرص و هوا ** نیک کرد او لیک نیک بد نما 235
- He was unstained by lust and covetousness and passion: (what) he did (was) good, but good that wore the aspect of evil.
گر خضر در بحر کشتی را شکست ** صد درستی در شکست خضر هست
- If Khadir stove the boat in the sea, (yet) in Khadir's staving there are a hundred rightnesses.
وهم موسی با همه نور و هنر ** شد از آن محجوب، تو بیپر مپر
- The imagination of Moses, notwithstanding his (spiritual) illumination and excellence, was screened from (the comprehension of) that (act of Khadir). Do not thou fly without wings!
آن گل سرخ است تو خونش مخوان ** مست عقل است او تو مجنونش مخوان
- That (deed of the king) is a red rose (worthy of praise); do not call it blood (murder). He is intoxicated with Reason; do not call him a madman.
گر بدی خون مسلمان کام او ** کافرم گر بردمی من نام او
- Had it been his desire to shed the blood of a Moslem, I am an infidel if I would have mentioned his name (with praise).
میبلرزد عرش از مدح شقی ** بد گمان گردد ز مدحش متقی 240
- The highest heaven trembles at praise of the wicked, and by praise of him the devout man is moved to think evil.
شاه بود و شاه بس آگاه بود ** خاص بود و خاصهی الله بود
- He was a king and a very heedful king; he was elect and the elect (favourite) of God.
آن کسی را کش چنین شاهی کشد ** سوی بخت و بهترین جاهی کشد
- One who is slain by a king like this, he (the king) leads him to fortune and to the best (most honourable) estate.
گر ندیدی سود او در قهر او ** کی شدی آن لطف مطلق قهر جو
- Unless he (the king) had seen advantage to him (the goldsmith) in doing violence to him, how should that absolute Mercy have sought to do violence?