زان شود هر دوست آن ساعت عدو ** که بت تو بود و از ره مانع او
- In that hour every friend will become your foe, because (in the world) he was your idol and one who hindered (you) from (following) the (right) Way.
روی از نقاش رو میتافتی ** چون ز نقشی انس دل مییافتی
- You were averting your face from the Painter of the face, since you were gaining heart's delight from a (mere) picture.
این دم ار یارانت با تو ضد شوند ** وز تو برگردند و در خصمی روند
- If at this (present) time your friends become hostile to you and turn aside from you and quarrel (with you),
هین بگو نک روز من پیروز شد ** آنچ فردا خواست شد امروز شد
- Take heed and say, “Lo, my fortune is triumphant: that which would have happened to-morrow (at the Last Judgement) has happened to-day.
ضد من گشتند اهل این سرا ** تا قیامت عین شد پیشین مرا 1505
- The people of this caravanseray (the world) have become my enemies, in order that the Resurrection might be made clearly visible to me beforehand,
پیش از آنک روزگار خود برم ** عمر با ایشان به پایان آورم
- Ere I should lose my time and associate with them to the end of my life.
کالهی معیوب بخریده بدم ** شکر کز عیبش بگه واقف شدم
- I had bought defective goods: thanks (to God) that I have become aware of their defectiveness in time,
پیش از آن کز دست سرمایه شدی ** عاقبت معیوب بیرون آمدی
- Ere the stock-in-trade should go out of my hands and finally come forth (be exposed) as defective.
مال رفته عمر رفته ای نسیب ** ماه و جان داده پی کالهی معیب
- My wealth was (all but) gone, my life was (all but) gone, O man of noble lineage: I had (all but) given away my wealth and life for damaged goods.
رخت دادم زر قلبی بستدم ** شاد شادان سوی خانه میشدم 1510
- I sold my merchandise, I received base gold: I was going home in great jubilation.