پادشاهی را خدا کشتی کند ** تا به حرص خویش بر صفها زند
- God makes a king to be (as) an ark (for his subjects), to the end that he, (impelled) by selfishness, may assault the ranks (of his enemies).
قصد شه آن نه که خلق آمن شوند ** قصدش آنک ملک گردد پایبند
- The king's aim is not that the people should become safe; his aim is that his kingdom should become (like) a fetter (on his foot).
آن خراسی میدود قصدش خلاص ** تا بیابد او ز زخم آن دم مناص 2195
- The ass that turns the mill is running along: its aim is (to obtain) release, so that it may gain refuge from blows at that moment.
قصد او آن نه که آبی بر کشد ** یاکه کنجد را بدان روغن کند
- Its aim is not to draw some water or thereby (by turning the mill) to make sesame into oil.
گاو بشتابد ز بیم زخم سخت ** نه برای بردن گردون و رخت
- The ox hurries for fear of (receiving) hard blows, not for the purpose of taking the cart and baggage (to their destination);
لیک دادش حق چنین خوف وجع ** تا مصالح حاصل آید در تبع
- But God put such fear of pain in him, to the end that good results might be achieved in consequence (of his fear).
همچنان هر کاسبی اندر دکان ** بهر خود کوشد نه اصلاح جهان
- Similarly, every shopkeeper works for himself, not for the improvement of the world.
هر یکی بر درد جوید مرهمی ** در تبع قایم شده زین عالمی 2200
- Every one seeks a plaster for his pain, and in consequence of this a whole world is set in order.
حق ستون این جهان از ترس ساخت ** هر یکی از ترس جان در کار باخت
- God made of fear the pillar (support) of this world: because of fear every one has devoted himself to work.
حمد ایزد را که ترسی را چنین ** کرد او معمار و اصلاح زمین
- Praise be to God that on this wise He has made a fear to be the architect and (means for the) improvement of the world.