در فلان صحرا درختی هست زفت ** شاخهااش انبه و بسیار و چفت
- In such and such a plain there is a huge tree, its boughs dense and numerous and curved.
سخت راسخ خیمهگاه و میخ او ** بوی خون میآیدم از بیخ او 2445
- Its tent and tent-pegs are very firm; from its roots the smell of blood is coining to me.
خون شدست اندر بن آن خوش درخت ** خواجه راکشتست این منحوسبخت
- Murder has been done at the bottom of that goodly tree: this man of sinister fortune has killed his master.
تا کنون حلم خدا پوشید آن ** آخر از ناشکری آن قلتبان
- The clemency, of God has concealed that (crime) till now, (but) at last.(it has come to ‘light) through the ingratitude of that scoundrel,
که عیال خواجه را روزی ندید ** نه بنوروز و نه موسمهای عید
- Who never a single day looked upon his master’s family, not (even) at Nawróz and (other) seasons of festival,
بینوایان را به یک لقمه نجست ** یاد ناورد او ز حقهای نخست
- And never ‘searched after the destitute (children, to relieve their want) with a single morsel of food, or bethought him of the former obligations (which he had received),
تا کنون از بهر یک گاو این لعین ** میزند فرزند او را در زمین 2450
- (And so continued), till for the sake of a cow this accursed wretch is now felling his (master’s) son’ to the earth.
او بخود برداشت پرده از گناه ** ورنه میپوشید جرمش را اله
- He, of himself, has lifted the veil from his crime; else God would have concealed his sin.”
کافر و فاسق درین دور گزند ** پرده خود را بخود بر میدرند
- In this cycle of woe the infidel and the profligate rend their veils of their own accord.
ظلم مستورست در اسرار جان ** مینهد ظالم بپیش مردمان
- Wrong is covered (from sight) in the inmost thoughts of the soul: the wrong-doer exposes it to men,