آن یکی افتاد بیهوش و خمید ** چونک در بازار عطاران رسید
- A certain man fell senseless and curled up as soon as he came into the bazaar of the perfumers.
بوی عطرش زد ز عطاران راد ** تا بگردیدش سر و بر جا فتاد
- The scent of the perfume (floating) from the goodly perfumers smote him, so that his head reeled and he fell on the spot.
همچو مردار اوفتاد او بیخبر ** نیم روز اندر میان رهگذر
- He fell unconscious, like a car case, at noontide in the middle of the thoroughfare.
جمع آمد خلق بر وی آن زمان ** جملگان لاحولگو درمان کنان 260
- Thereupon the people gathered over him, all crying Lá hawl and applying remedies.
آن یکی کف بر دل او می براند ** وز گلاب آن دیگری بر وی فشاند
- One was putting his hand on his (the tanner's) heart, while another sprinkled rose-water upon him;
او نمیدانست کاندر مرتعه ** از گلاب آمد ورا آن واقعه
- (For) he did not know that from (smelling) rose-water in the meadow (the bazaar) that calamity had overtaken him.
آن یکی دستش همیمالید و سر ** وآن دگر کهگل همی آورد تر
- One was massaging his hands and head, and another was bringing moist clay mixed with straw (to serve as a cold plaster);
آن بخور عود و شکر زد به هم ** وآن دگر از پوششش میکرد کم
- One compounded incense of aloes-wood and sugar, while another was divesting him of part of his clothes;
وآن دگر نبضش که تا چون میجهد ** وان دگر بوی از دهانش میستد 265
- And another felt his pulse, to see how it was beating; and another was smelling his mouth,
تا که می خوردست و یا بنگ و حشیش ** خلق درماندند اندر بیهشیش
- To see whether he had drunk wine or eaten beng or hashish: the people (having exhausted every resource) remained in despair at his insensibility.