سایهی او را نبود امکان دید ** همچو عنقا وصف او را میشنید
- He had no possibility of seeing (even) her shadow: he was (only) hearing the description of her, as (of) the ‘Anqá,
جز یکی لقیه که اول از قضا ** بر وی افتاد و شد او را دلربا
- Except (for) one meeting which happened to him by (Divine) destiny at the first and enravished his heart.
بعد از آن چندان که میکوشید او ** خود مجالش مینداد آن تندخو
- After that, however much effort he made, in sooth that cruel one would give him no opportunity.
نه بلا به چاره بودش نه به مال ** چشم پر و بیطمع بود آن نهال 45
- Neither entreaty nor wealth availed him: that (fresh) sapling was fully satisfied and without desire.
عاشق هر پیشهای و مطلبی ** حق بیالود اول کارش لبی
- (In the case of) the lover of any craft or object of pursuit, God has touched his lip (with honey or the like) at the beginning of the affair;
چون بدان آسیب در جست آمدند ** پیش پاشان مینهد هر روز بند
- (But) when at that contact they have entered upon the quest, He lays a snare before their feet every day.
چون در افکندش بجست و جوی کار ** بعد از آن در بست که کابین بیار
- When He has plunged him (the lover) into search for the matter (which he has at heart), after that He shuts the door, saying, “Bring the dowry.”
هم بر آن بو میتنند و میروند ** هر دمی راجی و آیس میشوند
- Still they cling to that (sweet) scent (hope) and go (on their quest): at every moment they become hopeful and despairing.
هر کسی را هست اومید بری ** که گشادندش در آن روزی دری 50
- Every one (of them) hath hope of (winning) the fruit whereto a door was opened to him on a certain day;
باز در بستندش و آن درپرست ** بر همان اومید آتش پا شدست
- Then it was shut (upon them) again; (but) that devotee to the door, (continuing) in the same hope, has become fire-footed.