یا نبود آن کار او را خود گهر ** یا نیامد وقت پاداش از قدر
- Either the essential thing was not in his work at all, or by (Divine) decree the hour for the reward has not yet arrived.
یا که بود آن سعی چون سعی جهود ** یا جزا وابستهی میقات بود
- Either his labour has been like the labour of the Jews, or the recompense has been connected with (deferred till) the appointed season.
مر ورا درد و مصیبت این بس است ** که درین وادی پر خون بیکس است
- For him ’tis sorrow and misfortune enough that he is without any one (to succour him) in this vale full of blood.
چشم پر درد و نشسته او به کنج ** رو ترش کرده فرو افکنده لنج 3525
- His eyes are painful, and he sits in a corner, sour-faced and chop-fallen.
نه یکی کحال کو را غم خورد ** نیش عقلی که به کحلی پی برد
- There is no oculist to sympathise with him, nor has he any intelligence that he should find the way to a collyrium.
اجتهادی میکند با حزر و ظن ** کار در بوکست تا نیکو شدن
- He is making a (great) effort with (the help of) conjecture and opinion: the matter rests in ‘maybe’ till it turn out well.
زان رهش دورست تا دیدار دوست ** کو نجوید سر رئیسیش آرزوست
- Far is the road he must travel ere he sees the Beloved, because he does not seek the head; his desire is headship.
ساعتی او با خدا اندر عتاب ** که نصیبم رنج آمد زین حساب
- At one time he is (engaged) in reproach, saying (to God), ‘The portion allotted to me from this calculation (of mine) is (nothing but) pain.’
ساعتی با بخت خود اندر جدال ** که همه پران و ما ببریده بال 3530
- At another time he is (engaged) in a quarrel with his own luck, saying, ‘All (the others) are flying, and we have our wings cut off.’”
هر که محبوس است اندر بو و رنگ ** گرچه در زهدست باشد خوش تنگ
- Whoever is imprisoned in scent and colour, his spirit is oppressed, (even) though he is (occupied) in (the practice of) asceticism.