مشورت کو عقل کو سیلاب آز ** در خرابی کرد ناخنها دراز
- (But) where is counsel, where is reason, (when) the torrent of cupidity has extended its talons to destroy (them)?
بین ایدی سد و سوی خلف سد ** پیش و پس کم بیند آن مفتون خد
- A barrier in front and a barrier behind; (but) he that is fascinated by a (lovely) cheek does not see (what is) before or behind.
آمده در قصدجان سیل سیاه ** تا که روبه افکند شیری به چاه 3870
- The black torrent comes to take his life, so that a fox may hurl a lion into the well (of destruction).
از چهی بنموده معدومی خیال ** تا در اندازد اسودا کالجبال
- Something (materially) non-existent causes a phantom to appear in a well, in order that it (the phantom) may cast into it lions (strong) as mountains.
هیچکس را با زنان محرم مدار ** که مثال این دو پنبهست و شرار
- Do not have any one intimate with thy womenfolk, for these two (the man and the woman) may be compared to cotton and sparks of fire.
آتشی باید بشسته ز آب حق ** همچو یوسف معتصم اندر زهق
- It needs a fire quenched by God's water, one that like Joseph holds fast (to God) in (the hour of) evil temptation,
کز زلیخای لطیف سروقد ** همچو شیران خویشتن را واکشد
- To withdraw itself (bravely) as lions from a charming Zalíkhá tall and slender as a cypress.
بازگشت از موصل و میشد به راه ** تا فرود آمد به بیشه و مرجگاه 3875
- He (the captain) turned back from Mawsil and went on his way till he encamped in a wooded meadowland.
آتش عشقش فروزان آن چنان ** که نداند او زمین از آسمان
- The fire of his love was blazing in such wise that he could not distinguish earth from heaven.
قصد آن مه کرد اندر خیمه او ** عقل کو و از خلیفه خوف کو
- He sought to embrace that moon (beauty) in her tent: where (at that time) was his reason and his dread of the Caliph?