بهر آن است این ریاضت وین جفا ** تا بر آرد کوره از نقره جفا
- The purpose of this (severe) discipline and this rough treatment is that the furnace may extract the dross from the silver.
بهر آن است امتحان نیک و بد ** تا بجوشد بر سر آرد زر زبد
- The testing of good and bad is in order that the gold may boil and bring the scum to the top.
گر نبودی کارش الهام اله ** او سگی بودی دراننده نه شاه
- If his act were not the inspiration of God, he would have been a dog that rends (its prey), not a king.
پاک بود از شهوت و حرص و هوا ** نیک کرد او لیک نیک بد نما 235
- He was unstained by lust and covetousness and passion: (what) he did (was) good, but good that wore the aspect of evil.
گر خضر در بحر کشتی را شکست ** صد درستی در شکست خضر هست
- If Khadir stove the boat in the sea, (yet) in Khadir's staving there are a hundred rightnesses.
وهم موسی با همه نور و هنر ** شد از آن محجوب، تو بیپر مپر
- The imagination of Moses, notwithstanding his (spiritual) illumination and excellence, was screened from (the comprehension of) that (act of Khadir). Do not thou fly without wings!
آن گل سرخ است تو خونش مخوان ** مست عقل است او تو مجنونش مخوان
- That (deed of the king) is a red rose (worthy of praise); do not call it blood (murder). He is intoxicated with Reason; do not call him a madman.
گر بدی خون مسلمان کام او ** کافرم گر بردمی من نام او
- Had it been his desire to shed the blood of a Moslem, I am an infidel if I would have mentioned his name (with praise).
میبلرزد عرش از مدح شقی ** بد گمان گردد ز مدحش متقی 240
- The highest heaven trembles at praise of the wicked, and by praise of him the devout man is moved to think evil.
شاه بود و شاه بس آگاه بود ** خاص بود و خاصهی الله بود
- He was a king and a very heedful king; he was elect and the elect (favourite) of God.