لا شدی پهلوی الا خانهگیر ** این عجب که هم اسیری هم امیر
- Thou hast become ‘not’; (now) take up thy abode beside ‘except.’ This is wonderful, that thou art both a prisoner and a prince.
آنچ دادی تو ندای شاه داد ** اوست بس الله اعلم بالرشاد
- Thou didst not give what thou gavest: the king gave it. He alone is. God best knoweth the right course.”
وآن ندیم رسته از زخم و بلا ** زین شفیع آزرد و برگشت از ولا 2950
- And the boon-companion who had been delivered from the stroke of calamity was offended with this intercessor and drew back from (his former) fealty.
دوستی ببرید زان مخلص تمام ** رو به حایط کرد تا نارد سلام
- He cut off all (relations of) friendship with that sincere man, and turned his face to the wall in order that he might not give (him) the salaam.
زین شفیع خویشتن بیگانه شد ** زین تعجب خلق در افسانه شد
- He became estranged from his intercessor; in astonishment at this the people began to talk,
که نه مجنونست یاری چون برید ** از کسی که جان او را وا خرید
- Saying, “(If) he is not mad, how did he cut off friendly relations with the person who redeemed his life?
وا خریدش آن دم از گردن زدن ** خاک نعل پاش بایستی شدن
- He (the intercessor) redeemed (saved) him from beheading at that moment: he (the culprit) ought to have become the dust of his (the intercessor's) shoe.
بازگونه رفت و بیزاری گرفت ** با چنین دلدار کینداری گرفت 2955
- He has gone the reverse way and has taken (the course of) renouncing (his friend): he has taken to cherishing enmity against a beloved like this.”
پس ملامت کرد او را مصلحی ** کیین جفا چون میکنی با ناصحی
- Then a certain mentor reproached him, saying, “Why are you acting so unjustly towards a loyal friend?
جان تو بخرید آن دلدار خاص ** آن دم از گردن زدن کردت خلاص
- That elect beloved redeemed your life and saved you from beheading at that moment.